Friday 3 February 2012

Gettin' Personal

So today I wanted to blog about something that I think a lot of people go through at one point or another in their lives but don't often admit. It's one of the reasons girls seem to hate eachother, and probably the reason some people seem incredibly dramatic.
Our whole lives, we're basically raised to compete with one another - and this certainly takes its toll on a person eventually. We're always trying to be the better student, the hottest chick in school, the most popular.. the guys worry about the size of the pocket rocket (often bragging about it to make up for their true feelings about its size) and whether they're buff enough, tough enough.. The thing is.. we all worry at some point in our lives what other people think of us.
Well.. Why?
Why does it matter if you're an A+ student or a drop-out? Why does it matter what you look like? Why does it matter how many friends you have? Seriously, think about it.
Nobody likes to be alone. So that girl or boy who gets picked on everyday in school, or spends their time wandering around by themselves - they'd love it if someone reached out and said, hey let's be friends, or at the very least took the time to get to know them for who they are rather then pass judgement based on looks or popularity.
I have to admit, I struggle to push what other people think of me aside. If someone calls me dramatic, I run to my closest friend and look for the reassurance that no I'm not dramatic - meanwhile I'm totally being dramatic by looking for the reassurance that I'm not! If someone calls me selfish, I start rethinking every action I've done that day, second guessing my own opinion of myself or decisions I've made. If someone tells me I'm ugly, it hurts and I might spend a few minutes each time I pass my reflection, staring at myself and wondering what's wrong with me, focusing on all the negative people have said.
Growing up I've always had people talk down to me. I've had teachers tell me I'll never get anywhere in life because I'm a failure. I've had family laugh in my face when I've brought up an idea of what I'd like to do with my life. I've had people who I thought were my friends, tell me I'm selfish, worthless, ugly, a horrible person. And I know all these things aren't true. But they still get to me.

But why does it matter?
Why does it matter that these teachers think I'll never get anywhere. Why does it matter that family didn't think I could accomplish this or that. Why does it matter that someone thinks I'm selfish, worthless, ugly, a horrible person....
Why does it matter if you're an A+ student, or a drop out. Why does it matter what you look like. Why does it matter how many friends you have.

The answer is simple.
It doesn't.

Once you're able to fully accept that nobody elses opinions of you matter, you'll gain confidence and feel much more positively about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment