Friday 20 January 2012

I couldn't believe what I was reading....

I frequently browse various websites and forums, but today I came across this article: http://www.wolfhirschhorn.org/2012/01/amelia/brick-walls/

I found it particularily moving and decided that today it should be what I blog about.
The article is about a family who's daughter has a mental disability. The young girl needs a kidney transplant but the Childrens Hospital of Philidelphia has refused to allow this to happen.
They have said that the childs quality of life, and mental delays, void her eligibility and therefore she will never be allowed to get on the waiting list for a transplant. When the family told the doctor they had a large family and were willing to donate their own organs, the doctor repeated himself more slowly. In my opinion, hugely disrespecting the Mother of this young girl.
There were a few pieces of the article tha really stood out to me,
"So you mean to tell me that as a doctor, you are not recommending the transplant, and when her kidneys fail in six months to a year, you want me to let her die because she is mentally retarded? There is no other medical reason for her not to have this transplant other than she is MENTALLY RETARDED!”
“Yes. This is hard for me, you know"
This little tidbit made me crazy.
And this too

He pauses as if he is choosing his words carefully. “I have been warned about you. About how involved you and your famliy are with Amelia.”
The devil himself could not have produced a more evil laugh. “Ha! Warned! That is funny! You have no idea…”
Um.. damn right the family is involved.. that is their DAUGHTER!!!

I haven't been able to find a petition for this, but there really should be!
This is the address for the main campus of the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia (found via google). Maybe if they get enough letters in regards to this issue, they'll go through with the transplant!

34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4399
http://www.chop.edu/contact-us/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment